My momma and I took the boys back home on Sunday and spent two days with my daughter and the family.
On the way to and from my daughters, I pass this old gas station. Can you imagine the memories that were made here...and in those old cars? I love to find old places like this.
Before I took my momma home, we went by my aunt Willie Mae's house. (isn't that a southern name for you?) She is the sweetest lady and about as southern as they come. Her health isn't very well at the moment, but she's still smarter in her southern ways than just about anyone I know! And wow...can she cook!! Between her and my momma, I'd be as big as a barn with the down home cookin' they can put on your plate!
It doesn't matter how down in her health she is though, she's going to have a garden. So, my cousin, Johnny, started and is caring for her garden. When we stopped by yesterday, she told me it was time to go back out to the garden and pick the vegies that were ready to 'come in'. She told me that I could have whatever I picked! I couldn't get out to that garden fast enough! This is just a sample of what I brought home!
Ripened tomatoes, (that I will make some salsa with), squash, green tomatoes (that will be fried up and on our plates for supper tonight MY RECIPE HERE) jalepeno peppers, and almost a bushel of Purple Hull peas, which I've already shelled, blanched and put away! Woo Hoo! I felt like I struck gold! And I'm going back tomorrow!
My garden is looking good too! I started late, but I can already to see the 'fruits of my labor'!
I can't wait until my cucumbers are ready to pickle!




10 comments:
Don't the veggies from someone else's garden always taste better somehow? :)
I hope you show us how to pickle!
Those veggies are GORGEOUS! Sure wish I had the land for a garden. Missed the boat this year, but maybe next year I'll do some pots of veggies.
That all sounds like a bunch of fun! Looks like a good recipe too. Love those fresh veggies so much! :D
What a nice week having your grand children and also all the fresh vegies. It will be awhile here yet before we have them.
Those veggies look wonderful and so colorful in the photo. Nice aunt you have there! I hope she gets to feeling better, she sounds like a sweetheart.
Thanks for stopping by Dogs and Grandkids. It is nice to find other MawMaw bloggers.
Wish I had an aunt like yours.
I am a follower now.
Hi Tina! :) Thanks for your sweet comments on my laundry room, I just love it! I swear I REALLY do just stand in the doorway and stare at it...it was just so ugly before! lol :)
Your veggies look so good, how sweet of Willie Mae to give them to you!
I read your last post too and feel SO bad for Linda. I can't even begin to imagine losing my hubby. Oh that poor girl! (especially with three little kids...my heart is breaking for her!)
Thanks again for your comment..I really do appreciate your kind thoughts. :)
Missy
When we lived in Wisconsin, we had friends that planted potatoes...I had the best time digging for those potatoes and they were the BEST!
Sounds like a wonderful time with your grandchildren. Wow, those veggies look tasty!
Post a Comment