Tuesday, September 6, 2011

It wasn't due to a lack of love....

Oh, my poor Pickle tree....

This is what it looked like four weeks ago....
remember?


and this is what it looks like now!

I think it was the heat.
It's got to be. We planted late.
My poor bush has thinned itself out.
The inside of my 
Pickle Tree seems to be withering away.
The leaves inside are brown. 
It's still producing cucumbers...
a few of them anyway. 
 But, they aren't very green. 
I was expecting a huge batch at one time 
so I could can some dill pickles.
So far, that's not happening. 
So, we're eating them and putting them in salads.
They do have a very nice and juicy flavor!

So, I googled my problem...
Yes, it was the heat...
and they needed more nitrogen in the soil.
I've been gone for most of this past month.
The hubby didn't think to Google the problem.
He just thought it was the heat too.

I gave it all the Pickle Tree love I had!
(you garden growers know what I mean)

Doesn't look like the little guys 
that are (kind of) still growing
are going to make it though.

Now, the weather is getting cooler...
Fall is almost here.
It's time to move on to a new season.
A Pickle Tree wouldn't match my Fall Decor
very well anyway.




HAVE A HAPPY DAY!





15 comments:

Julie Harward said...

It's been a crazy year for everything that is for sure! At least you got some. :D

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

When I used to garden the same would always happen to my cucumbers. Just when I thought they'd abound they would start to wither. Fall is just a few days away now. Most gardens are seeing the last of their growing days. Hope your Wednesday is a wonderful one.

Oklahoma Granny said...

The cucumber tree was magnificient for awhile. The heat and lack of rain was so very had on plants and trees around here this year. I'm certainly enjoying the cooler weather. Now if we can just get some much needed rain.

Unknown said...

Tina -- your pickle tree looks a little like my little yellow pear tomato bush -- not enough of something and too much heat for sure. Guess we'll try again next year :)

Blessings!
Gail

Linda said...

They sort of remind me of my white cucumbers - the crop has been about half and half (half good/half bitter). Most everything here looks so weary and just ready for the season to be done already - two 1/2 months with virtually no rain, a full drought, and heat = a long, tiring growing season. :)

Hope you're having a blessed week,
Linda

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sorry about your pickle tree :(
We are hot and very humid, even had rain on Monday!

Unknown said...

Wow! Who knew they could spread like that! :) Thats crazy! :)

I'm a new follower from the friday hop! :)

-Hope
dreamingmommy.blogspot.com

Mom Fashion World said...

I love gardening with my son.
and harvesting is the most exciting part.

I'm your newest follower via GFC from the Friday Blog Hop.
Please feel free to visit my blog. Looking forward to seeing you there, and hope you follow me back. Thanks!

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Good Morning mrs Tina :) Hope you have a super weekend...

Chubskulit Rose said...

You still have nice ones though.

Hi, I am a your new follower from the "Bloghop till you Drop". It would be great if you can join me at Nostalgic Marveling or Spice Up Your Life blog. Have a great weekend.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The extreme heat has been hard on everything! It sure is pretty though and you've had some cukes to enjoy! ♥

Kelly said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my new blog! I'm so glad to meet you. I will follow your blog too.

Caroline said...

Thanks for stopping by...again. :) I like that pickle tree. We had a cucumber patch this summer. I have to tell ya, I was tired of makin' pickles that's for sure. It started gettin' so hot that my cucumbers were bakin' in the sun...they turned orange. Yes! I'm definatly a kid in a candy store when it comes to "junkin."

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

This has been the worst year! Hopefully your tree will perk back up!!

Toyin O. said...

The pickle tree looks great, what a transformation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...