Love.
Christmas!
Next to Fall, it's my favorite time of the year.
I look forward to the festivities, decorations, beautiful lights, the Nativity, poinsettias, a fully decorated tree, the scent of gingerbread and hazelnut candles, snowmen sitting on every table and shelf, and my little Dickens village complete with miniature carolers, villagers on ice skates and children and animals playing in the snow. But most of all, the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
By the time July rolls around, I'm ready for Christmas again. I make a point to find a few days to veg out on the couch and watch my Christmas movies; everything from The Nativity, to the Walton's Homecoming to Holiday for Love. Sometimes, I'll even squeeze in a little Frosty or Rudolph. And how about Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas? That's a must-watch movie at our house!When our children were younger and we were over-seas with the military, July was the month I would start my Christmas shopping at the BX and put everything on Lay-a-Way. Now, with so many children and grandchildren, I try to start shopping the day after Christmas! Some stores even have Christmas in July sales! You don't want to miss those!
If I decide to make a gift or new ornaments and decorations, I usually get started on it about this time, also. I'll be visiting the Hobby Lobby next week to get some ideas, then start watching for their sales on the items I'll need to get it started.
And I bet you'll never guess why type of music I listen to while I'm cleaning house!?!
The rest of the preparations can wait until the first Sunday after Thanksgiving. I don't allow anything to over-lap or interfere with celebrating the holidays during the Fall season. Remember..that's my other favorite time of the year!
So, if you don't mind, I'm going to go now and get out a couple of my Christmas crafting and cook books, turn the air conditioning down low, pop in a movie and curl up on the couch with a cup of homemade hot cocoa. I've got the Silent Night-Jingles Bells-Chestnuts Roasting on a Open Fire- kind of fever. I'd better get to finding a cure for it now...before too long it'll be time to finish up the summer, then get ready for Fall!


19 comments:
I KNEW we were friends for a reason!! =) I am the VERY same way with Christmas! I've been saying for weeks now that I want it to be here. Am going start a couple Christmas craft projects soon too, and will probably watch the Polar Express tonight. I loved this post, Tina!!! =)
I knew we were friends for a reason!!! =) I am the VERY same way - I live for Christmas all year round! And since I work part time at a Hallmark store, we start celebrating with ornaments in just a couple weeks! =) I'm hoping to start a few Christmas projects soon, and will probably watch the Polar Express tonight (nevermind the 100+ degree temps!). LOVED this post, Tina!!!
You can do this and say it out loud? Wow. I am still falling asleep to Christmas music every night. I thought that that was as Christmas crazy as anyone ever became. It's not my favorite holiday, but you're making it sound wonderful. I ADORE the Jug-Band Christmas for some very sappy sentimental reasons.
Have great fun with your Christmas in July! (One thing's certain, you're going to be prepared come Christmas.)
That's definitely a great way to beat the July heat! Back when our son was taking piano lessons, June/July was the time when his instructor brought out the Christmas music.
Dang, you scared me with that title. "I'm not ready" was my first response.
I would drive you nuts as I am a last minute shopper.
Now the cold and the snow I like a lot.
Enjoy your prep time and just think--only 176 more days.
:) It will be here again before we know it!! I also like to turn my air down low in the Summer and try to pretend it is not so hot outside. I have an extra blanket on my bed as we speak :)
Hi Tina, I love this post because I also love Christmas! And Autumn is running neck and neck for the top spot. It's been so hot lately that I'm ready for Autumn to get here. I can't say that I get going on the Christmas gifts, etc. very early, but I can listen to Christmas music anytime of the year! Have a good weekend. ~Cheryl
Glad I found your blog from MBC Blog Hopper. I'm a new follower & looking forward to seeing more of your posts. Started Christmas shopping for my soon-to-be 3 yr old granddaughter last week -- Granny's can never start too early :)
I'm a new follower from 40 and 0ver. I love your post and all holidays. Doylene
I'm with you on this one...at least in spirit. I'm not much of a crafter and I keep my holiday decorations down to 'a dull roar', but I began my holiday shopping in May and by this time of year I see the HUGE need for a dose of yuletide love in this world. I'll never understand why the Christmas spirit seems to completely vanish by the second week in January each year.
New follower from Sunday Hop would love if you'd return the favor!
www.thriftymomspot.com
I love Christmas too, the day after Halloween I am ready to watch A Muppets Christmas Carol, put the Carpenters Christmas CD in my car player and get started on preparations. I can't say it's ever hit me quite THIS early though!
A woman after my own heart. I just started Pinterest & my Christmas board is probably already the biggest. Well that would be running neck & neck with my Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving board! Have fun!
I love Christmas too and being a crafter I start getting things ready around July. Each year the kids and I make a bunch of decorations for the tree and we also start making gifts for teachers, friends and family.
HO HO HO! : ) Happy Christmas in July!
xoxo
Hello Tina,
I just posted (FINALLY) the giveaway where you entered your guess, which counted as a free entry...So be sure to stop by and get some extra entries.. : )
Love the Christmas in July...
There is a Christmas in July is happening next weekend here in SW Florida. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday too!
A woman after my own heart. I get my new Hallmark ornaments next weekend.
I'm glad you love Christmas and find joy in preparing... but I can't even think about it until about 2 weeks before. I'm funny that way! :)
I like Christmas when it's here, but I'm not at all ready to think about Fall or Winter yet. I'm too busy enjoying this lovely summer season and trying not to rush life. :)
Post a Comment