My cousin, Lance, went to bed last Friday evening, the 19th, with a severe headache. Saturday afternoon, he would not wake up. He was rushed by ambulance to the local hospital, then flown to another hospital 3 hours away...a hospital with specialists that could treat him for what they found on the scans.Lance had been having headaches for a couple of years now. Sometimes so severe, that he would sit and hold his head in his hands and writhe in pain. But, he didn't have health insurance, so he didn't go to the doctor to find out what was causing these headaches. He treated them like they were just migraines. We now know that they weren't... it was a brain tumor. Lance had a brain tumor and he didn't even know it.
His vital signs sky-rocketed when he was taken in to the hospital. His momma arrived, sat by his side, started talking to him, and his vital signs gradually went down...to almost normal. But, he still did not wake up. God had other plans for Lance. God needed Lance with Him.
After excessive bleeding on the brain and two severe strokes, he went to be with Jesus on Tuesday, the 22nd. He was 44 yrs old. That's it. Only 44.
His service today was beautiful...very sad, but very touching at the same time. He was well loved by so many. It broke my heart to see my aunt and uncle ...so devastated...so crushed, by the sudden loss of their son.
When the casket was opened at the end of the service, I knew it was time for the congregation to quietly rise from their seats, form a line, then walk past his lifeless body and pay their respects one last time. First his friends and friends of the family, then the family.
"It's been such a long time since I've seen you Lance. We had so much fun as kids. The silly things we did...the trouble we all got in to. If our parents only knew huh? No matter how hard we tried, or how many times we tromped through those woods, we never could find Big Foot. Then things changed. We grew up. You went your way. I went my way. And, I'm so sorry that it had to be this way before I saw you again. This is not good-bye though. This is 'see you later'. I know where you are now. And I promise... we will see each other again."
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30


20 comments:
Tina...what a heart felt post.....may your and Lance's family find comfort in your memories and the promise of eternity.
Blessings!
Gail
I'm so sorry for your loss. It brought tears thinking of his parents saying good-bye to their son. We are not supposed to outlive our children. I hope your family experiences God's peace as you go through this difficult time.
Oh Tina, I am so very sorry for your loss! My heart aches for you and your family. Iam praying for you.
Cindy
Oh Tina, I'm so sorry. You sure chose a great verse to close this post - all truth. Praying peace over you...
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4
I am so sorry for you family's loss. May your memories and love of Lance, be forever in your heart.
So sorry, Tina. It's never easy when loved ones pass away -- especially at such a young age.
This was a lovely tribute to your cousin.
What a beautiful post...I had tears running down my cheek the entire time I read it. I loved how ya'll tromped all over the woods looking for bigfoot. I remember you telling me how ya'll played by the creek. I am so sorry for your loss, and for your families loss. You are right ... It's not goodbye, it's see you later. You and I have been friends for so long that we have burried lots of friends and acuantances, and also family. I am so fortunate to have you as my friend and I thank God for sending me you. I love you my friend.
What a beautiful post ~ may the Lord bring you and your family comfort knowing you will see him again. (((Hugs)))
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." Matthew 5:4
Please accept my deepest sympathy.
Tina, I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin. He is so young. Keeping you and his family in my prayers. I don't know if you have seen my other blog For Your Tears but I would love to mail his mother a handkerchief to catch her tears. It doesn't matter the age of the child, to his mother he will always be her baby.
Just wanted you to know. I would just need her full name and address. dpucci9972@gmail.com
Tina, I too am so sorry. It is hard to say "see you later" to someone that we love. I know they are better off, I know that they are happy, but we still miss them while we are here. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers today. Hope you all find peace and comfort in the arms of your Heavenly Father.
found your blog through Pam's (What's New at My House); so sorry to hear about your cousin; I am sure all are saddened by his loss; it is comforting indeed to know that you will see him again and spend eternity with him.
betty
OOOooo so sorry for your families loss.
What a beautiful tribute. Tears. My thoughts and prayers are with you. So sad. Bless your heart.
I am very sorry for your loss...I know what a shock it is to lose someone early! I'll keep your family in my prayers. ♥
I am very sorry for your loss. Blessings to you and your family.
So sorry for your family's loss Tina. My husband lost his mother last year to a heart attack. She was so young still and also had no insurance so she was never able to pay for the heart medications she desperately needed. Things must change in our country so people can get the medical attention that they need and deserve!
We also know though that she is our angel and awaits us in our Lord's kingdom.
Thinking of you all in this difficult time!
Oh i am soooo sorry !
Oh i can't imagine how much he suffered !
He is with Jesus and very happy now.
Thank you so much for your visit and come say hi when you can.
Sorry for your pain and sadness. Big hug to you.
So sorry about Lance. May God give you and all the family comfort.
Tina I am so sorry about your cousin Lance. Dang we just never know. We just need to appreciate and enjoy every second of every minute of every hour of every day. That is how I feel after my heart event. We just lost a friend two weeks ago, she had a brain aneurysm that ruptured and never woke up. A beautiful post you have written here in memory of Lance.
Post a Comment