Sunday, August 14, 2011

Aunt Willie Mae



Two months ago I wrote about her (here) giving me fresh vegies from her garden. Not too long after that day, her health went from bad to worse.
She fought long and hard.  My sweet Aunt Willie Mae just couldn't hold on any longer. The Dr did everything he could. My mother (her sister), my daughter, my cousin (her daughter), my uncle (her brother) and I were all with her, this past Tuesday evening, when she took her last breath.

God saw she was getting tired
And a cure was not to be.
So He put His arms around her
And whispered, "Come with me".


I thought I would break down and cry when this happened. But, I didn't. All I could think about was "oh my gosh. I was here when she went to Heaven." Just that fast. She was gone. She's in Heaven. She's in the arms of Jesus. 
It was that sudden. She is with HIM!
She no longer suffers. She was ready to go.

Aunt Willie Mae was a true southern woman. There wasn't anything this woman couldn't do. She was a tough woman too. She had a good life, but also had some hard times. She had a heart of gold and a great love for God and her family.  She spoke her mind. Her pastor said it well when he said "there wasn't ever any doubt about what was on her mind...because she let you know!"

My momma and my aunt were very close. Actually, they were inseparable. Always together. And when they weren't together, they were on the phone talking to each other. They would check in with each other daily. They took care of each other. They were true sisters. They needed each other. They depended on each other. The other sisters and brother passed away several years ago. Out of six children...now it's just my uncle and my momma.

I've been staying with my momma since a few days after my surgery. I sat with her for many hours in the ICU waiting room. She didn't want to leave the hospital. I didn't want to leave my momma.
After the beautiful service on Friday and all the family went home, I brought my momma home with me. I had my two grandsons with me this weekend also. I figured what better way to make her smile than to spend it with her great grandchildren. And it worked.

I took my momma home tonight. She's alone again. And I know she'll cry. I know she'll be sad. And it breaks my heart. But my momma is another tough woman. I'll continue to visit with her several days a week. And I'll continue to call her on the days that I'm not with her. But, I know...although I am her daughter and even though we are as close as we are, nothing can take the place of her sister.

We love you Aunt Willie Mae. 
You will be greatly missed!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

A beautiful post Tina...praying comfort for your sweet momma and all those who loved Aunt Willie Mae!

Blessings!
Gail

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Continue to stay strong and take care of your momma.

Ruby Jean said...

I saw the Picture of your Sweet Aunt Willie Mae and It was as though my heart knew what you were going to say...I didn't know your Aunt but I did pray for her when your Prayer request had gone out...Not to mention I just simply LOVE her name...So my heart was instantly knitted to hers..Truly your families loss has touched my heart and to hear the account of the relationship she had with her Sister (your Momma)has certainly caused your Momma to be etched in my mind... I will share this with my husband and we will Lift her up in prayer as she mourns the Loss of not only her Sister but also her Dearest Friend..
Blessings to you and yours this day..

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your mother and all of Aunt Willie Mae's family. How wonderful that your mother and her sister were so close. She sounds like a real special person to have had in your lives. (((Hugs)))

Arkansas Patti said...

What a wonderful tribute to a lovely lady. I am sorry for your loss. She will always live in your memories. That is a wonderful legacy.

Susan said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Aunt. Your family will be in our prayers, and especially your Mother. I know how hard it is for you to see your Mother grieve, as I have seen mine go through the loss of her sisters as well. May the God of all comfort embrace your family during this time.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So sorry to hear about her passing.
((HUGS))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...