Monday, August 1, 2011

I'm in a pickle....

Yes, I really am...almost literally!

This is my cucumber bush...
also known as 
My Pickle Tree


We are short on space with sunlight, 
so I had to plant them in my side garden.
We had to extend the climbing string to the side
or this thing would be climbing 
all the way up to my roof!

 For every yellow flower you see here, 
there are at least 2 dozen more than you don't see!

See this little 'pickle'?
I've lost count of how many there are.

But, don't get me wrong!
I'm so excited that my cucumbers are doing so well! 
But, I'm a little overwhelmed...or will be soon.
I know the time is coming, very soon, when 
I'm going to have to harvest these babies.
And I'm going to have cucumbers out the whazoo!

Ok..here's where I'm in a pickle.

I've only canned Bread and Butter Pickles.
They are the ones my grandma loved.
Most of my family loves Kosher Dill. 
I have several recipes for Dill pickles. 
But, none of them are tried and true
(that I know of)
And I've got recipes from Ball recipe book
and their web site. 
But, which one do I use?
How do they compare?

So, I'm asking you....
Do you have a Tried and True Dill Pickle recipe
that you would be willing to share? 
...a recipe that requires a hot water bath, 
not the pressure canner. 

Can you help me?

I would be so grateful. 

 


19 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have never seen cukes grow like that. How wonderful yours are doing so well. Sorry I'm no help with pickles as I've never made the dill ones either. I am a great fan of fresh cucumbers though. Just love them.

Unknown said...

I have never done it...love your plant!!! I am exited for you too. Do a google search to find a recipe or ask your friends on Facebook if you are on it.
Exiting!!
XO

Julie Harward said...

I have only made bread and butter pickles too..do what Isabelle said, you can find everything there! ;D

Tina said...

I did...my blog posts show up on my facebook, so I'm getting input there too....only Bread and Butter pickles though! :-(

Tina said...

I'd like to try one that I know someone likes...I'll have jars upon jars of pickles!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I don't have any help for you. I have never canned/pickled anything and my family never did either. I am so excited. Maybe you will have to sell some of them on the road with a little lemonade stand!

Ruby Jean said...

I have a SWEET friend who shared her Pickle recipe with me...It was entered in a State Fair Contest...I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself but they are a WINNER with her family.. : )
GARLIC DILL PICKLES
3/4 c. salt (this is to salty for some;
may be reduced to 1/2 c.)
4-5 cups white vinegar
8 c. water
cucumbers (enough to fill 6- 1quart jars.)
18 cloves garlic, peeled
6 T. dill seed (not weed.)
Wash cucumbers, cut into spears, and pack in jars. Add 3 cloves garlic & 1 T. dill seed per jar. Place jars on baking sheet (or pan.) in oven at 250. (this keeps jars hot so they’ll seal when you add vinegar.) Boil vinegar, salt, and water, pour boiling mixture into hot jars, and immediately put hot bans & lids onto jars. (keep lids & bands hot by boiling them first.) Let cool on counter. (they should seal while cooling.) Let sit 10-12 days before using (this is the hard part! If you can’t stand it, only wait a week!)(Our favorite dill pickles!) makes 6 qts.
Let me know if you try it...

Ruby Jean said...

Oh and if you do try it...I will Pay for you to send me a bottle or 2... : )WE LOVE pickles...

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Tina, that is some cucumber plant you have there! It looks so healthy and I'm going to have to try something like that next season because ours in the garden aren't doing very well. I don't have a particular pickle recipe, but I used to slice cucumbers and then pour over a vinegar, sugar, salt concoction and freeze them. They were very good and even my kids when they were young liked them. I haven't made them in years since I rarely have enough cucumbers to do anything with. Hope you find a good recipe!

Michelle said...

I don't have any pickle advice, but I love how you have grown these.

Pitterle Postings said...

I have only made bread and butter pickles, but I like to use All recipes website and look for the recipes with the most stars. I have had really good luck there.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

The best and easiest dill pickles ever....Mrs. Wages....found this seasoning packet at Wal Mart....it was soooo good we contact the company and ordered more....

Enjoy

ps...they also have bread/butter seasoning and salsa seasoning....yummmmy...!!

Jen said...

I just buy the Mrs. Wadges Kosher Dill Pickle packs in the store or we order them offline. Easy & good. I also soak my clean/sliced cucumbers in the pickling lime overnight. They stay nice & crisp all year :)

Linda said...

I've never done pickling or canning, but that's one healthy looking cucumber bush! :) Looks great.

I grew cucumbers also - hadn't planned on it originally, but Burpee sent me a package of white cucumber seeds for free with my order, among other freebies, so I grew them. They're okay - not my favorite variety, but I do normally like cucumbers. :)

Good luck on your pickling!

oneshabbychick said...

A pickle tree... I love it!!! Thats fabulous. I might just have to grow myself one sometime. My family is crazy for pickles... And cucumbers! Thanks so much for your visit and comments at oneshabbychick. Hey, you could have a pickle party... Or a pickling party! Cheers! ~ osc

BigD said...

I used to grow my cucumbers on a trellis (back when I still gardened), but I never had one get that big!
I've made pickles using the Ball pickling mix from the grocery store.
What was so funny was my grandma had a secret recipe for her pickles that she took to the grave, telling only my sister (her favorite). The big secret? Grandma used to use that mix and hide the package in the trash so no one ever knew!!! I told my sister she made that up, but she swears that's what Grandma told her!

Tina said...

I'm finding that out a lot lately. Most folks are telling me to use the seasoning packages from WalMart...Ball and Ms Wages. I find the same answers when I asked for Salsa recipes too! ;-)

Kathy said...

This looks great! Perfect way to grow them!
Kathy

Val said...

Yes! Your pickle tree is huge! I planted mine in a barrel this year. They are big, but not that big!!! Have you ever tried "Mrs. Wages"? It is an envelope that you just add the vinigar! It is the best dill pickles ever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...