A BMI (Body Mass Index) Assessment Test that is!
My Zumba instructor daughter called me today and says:
"Hey Mom! I've scheduled an appointment for you for a BMI test..today at 3:00! You're not doing anything are you?"
"uh, no..not really, but...."
"Ok Mom. See you then!"
I don't think I have ever been more nervous about taking a 'test' than I was today! Who wants to know the truth about how unfit they really are? Well, I was one of the lucky ones that had to find out. My daughter wasn't going to let me make any more excuses. And now, after knowing what I know, I highly recommend this to everyone!
I thought I was doing so much better with my diet...eating healthier, down to one Diet Coke per week, drinking more water and losing some weight. Well, apparently it wasn't good enough. So now, after an Easter weekend full of Brown sugar glazed ham, mashed potatoes, Key Lime Pie, a few Peeps and some Jelly Beans, (just kidding...I'm diabetic too) I have another appointment with a strength and fitness trainer to start my twice weekly routine to lower my BMI.
I'm actually pretty excited about it. I know how much better I feel already after losing a few pounds and dropping a few sizes in clothes. So, I'm really looking forward to getting back in shape. I love to run, so maybe I'll make it my goal to run in the marathon next year. Maybe. We'll see.
My Optimum Health website (HERE) has some good information that can give you some idea of where you're at.
Making sense of the numbers
BMI = [Weight in pounds ÷ Height in inches ÷ Height in inches] x 703. For example, the BMI of a 6-foot person who weighs 210 pounds would be 210 pounds divided by 72 inches divided by 72 inches and multiplied by 703 = 28.5.
According to the NIH (National Institutes of Health), your BMI score means the following:
- Underweight: below 18.5
- Normal: 18.5 to 24.9
- Overweight: 25 to 29.9
- Obese: 30 and above
Don't just go by this though. You'll need to visit your local fitness center or see your doctor to find out all you need to know. They can tell you what percent of your body is fat and even tell you how old your body is compared to how old you really are. I won't tell you my numbers...nope, that is my secret...but I will tell you again..I have an appointment on Monday to start my strength and fitness training.
I just turned 49. When I turn 50, I don't want to look or feel like I'm 50. After today. I'm determined!

20 comments:
Hi...So glad you "found me"...I am your newest follower! :)
I hope you'll come back and share a recipe or two on "Made it on Monday"...a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY I host on my blog.
http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com/
*link ups are every WED.-SAT.*
I hope you will join in on the fun! :)
Hop'pin by from 'Follow Friday - 40 and Over'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM
Krafty Max Originals
Hi Tina! It's so nice to "meet" you and find your wonderful blog. I see that your Gramma. I'm "granna" so that's pretty close. Congratulations to you on taking that step to get healthy! We've been taking some steps in our house to eat better lately and learn where I food comes from. We aren't perfect by any means; but we do try to make better choices than we once did. It is going to be fun following along with you on your journey. Have a wonderful weekend and thanks so much for stopping in to say hello! Blessings, Candace
Good for your daughter and good for you! She obviously cares alot about you. :)
Just saying "hi" from the blog hop! Good luck on your fitness goals. It was fitting that I visited your blog today since I need to do the very same thing. I am 51 and I keep thinking I've got to get in shape SOON!
I'm from Russellville, AR. Glad to meet a fellow AR blogger. I enjoyed your post. I believe in taking care of myself. Happy Easter, Doylene
Howdy! This is Teresa from NanaHood. I found you through Java. I think we have some things in common. I am going to follow you and hope you will do the same for me. Teresa
Not sure why but I'm having trouble commenting. I'm your newest follower! Please visit me at www.nanahood.com and follow back! Teresa
I am going to get determined too..at my age I just can't let it go! Have a great weekend :D
I'm so lost on all of that BMI stuff.
Stopping by from over 40 to say hello and follow.
Have a great day!
POSH
http://poshonabudget.com/2011/04/peeps-or-bunnies.html
Hi Im a new follower from the Uk love your blog
come visit me anytime
http://jollyjillys.blogspot.com/
How interesting that you have a Zumba instructor daughter! My daughter is a Zumba instructor among other things! She's in San Diego, and I'm in Colorado Springs. My favorite exercise is when she leads a Zumba "class" via Skype! I'll be cheering you on in your strength and fitness training! I'm your newest follower. Deb @ RaisingFigureSkaters.com
Coming by from FOLLOW FRIDAY.
I am a new Grandma to a beautiful grand-daughter.
Have a great Easter!
~Peace...Naila Moon
http://writing-out-of-the-blue.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-bunnya-story.html
Oh, good luck on your goals. I have lost 40 lbs this year and it is the hardest thing I have ever done. I still crave Reece's Peanut butter cups!!!
Hi! New follower of your blog thru GFC and Networked Blogs! Finally, a group I can identify with. I was thinking there for awhile everyone was 20 and having babies. I have one granddaughter and one grandson. Love em and glad I can spoil them and turn them over to the parents!! Would love a follow back thru GFC and Networked Blogs. Have a great weekend and Happy Easter!
Mary@http://mmbearcupoftea.blogspot.com
Great to hear that you took this test. It is important, but not always nice to hear the results!
ah, I love Zumba. I would shudder to know what my BMI is right now. I'm trying to lose it. It seems harder, 40 is around the corner for me.
I don't want to take that test but I am joining you on Monday with a diet plan!!!
Have a fun Easter.
Well, this is just all depressing, LOL - Just kidding! :D
But seriously, good for you. I just know that I don't stick to things, so I just have to do the best I can. I was always a skinny stick, until I returned to work full time, right around the time I was in my late 30s and my metabolism was slowing down and a desk job is murder on weight around the middle. Still, I do walk a few miles a day - used to be every work day, but now it's a few times a week, and all of my activity when I'm at home. If it weren't for my office job, I would never be sitting, but I gotta work. :)
It's also very hard on my husband who drives and drives and drives and sits all day at an office job. There is virtually no time for workouts, but I've been trying to tell him that he needs to fit time for a walk at least. Sometimes that's the only exercise someone can get.
Hi, Tina! I'm happy you found me (and am delighted to follow back.) We also enjoyed a lovely Easter and even had a bit of sun (with lots of sun today, yay!) I'm in Northern Virginia.
I was exciting to read about how you loved Okinawa. It's nice to know we have a shared experience. Okinawa is an amazing place that's nestled into my heart. I returned for two weeks in 1997 and once I got my bearings (the traffic! the filled in land! how Naha had grown) off I went, to the northern tips (as roads were horrid when I was there) and, oh, what a wonderful visit I had!! I'm looking forward to your post.
Post a Comment