Saturday, April 30, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game-Consession Stand!


When I was younger, the concession stands at my brothers ball games were (sad to say) one of the main reasons I'd go to their games.  I would save up my money all week long just to spend it on the high priced candy and hot dogs. Doesn't make sense to me now, but back then it was a real special treat. I can remember sitting there next to my mom enjoying my black licorice and a hot dog. I loved mine smothered in ketchup, mustard and relish! Yum! Oh, and I can't forget that 1 cent Double Bubble Bubble Gum! That gum was always hard as a rock, but I'd get that (sometimes more than one) piece of gum chewed down and blow the biggest bubble!



Most of my family plays softball on our church league team. We started off pretty good, then got lousy...so bad we'd get sent home in the 3rd inning for being so far behind in score...but now we're all working together and we're doing great! But, regardless of how bad or how well we do, we are still having a great time! And that's all that matters right?

I'm not able to play. Being recently blinded in my left eye...from my radiation treatment... has thrown off my sense of judgement. I could see the ball coming, but I'd have no idea where it was going to land! And I don't think I'd look so hot with a black eye or a big ol' knot on my head! I was bummed at first, but I ended up with the better deal...I get to play with my granddaughters while their parents play ball. And....because we can go to the concession stand anytime we want to!


These days,  the concession stands have a bigger menu and they are so much more expensive! But what (big) kid doesn't love waiting in line for that high priced, oh so fattening or 'loaded with sugar' treat?

As soon as I get out of my car at the ball field,  I can smell those foot long corn dogs! It doesn't matter if I just finished a full course healthy meal or not...without a doubt, I am going to eat a corn dog! And there is nothing better to wash it down with than a cup of fresh squeezed lemon-ade! I've got my youngest grand-daughter hooked on them! That little girl can (almost) eat a whole corn dog by herself! Since I've started eating healthier, I have to admit, I share my corn dog with her now..can't afford to eat the whole thing by myself!  My oldest grand-daughter would rather have some nachos and a snow cone.
And it's okay that she's 'different'. I can accept that.

It doesn't matter what you order. 
It doesn't matter how much it cost. 
It's hard to find an excuse NOT to visit the ball park concession stand.






13 comments:

Julie Harward said...

That is when I love to eat that kind of food too..at a baseball game or especially at a Jazz basketball game..so good! ;D

Ruby Jean said...

I am completely with you...When my brothers were playing ball growing up...I was eager to get to that Ball Field..NOT!! to see them play..but to LOAD up on ALL that Yummy Concession Stand Goodness...I LOVED it when it was my parents turn to work it...Because I was able to go in through the side door and get a hands on approach..to picking my treats out...One of my favorite things was the Bubble Gum that came in a Long Rope like wrapping...And the Gum that look like Hot Dogs..
Fun Memories..

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree the concession stand always seems to taste so good! My boys and my DDH used to play softball and we always enjoyed it. Not me as I'm not athletic in any shape or fashion. But I made a good cheerleader for them all!

Oklahoma Granny said...

Isn't that the truth!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I agree with you. The best part is always the food!

Paula said...

Yummmm! I LOVE ball park food and fair food. Corn dogs and fresh lemonade are right up there at the top.

Linda said...

This is a very fun post! :) The only thing, being from the Chicago area, we never ever put ketchup on a hot dog. It's only mustard and whatever other fixings like onions or relish, but never ketchup. LOL :)

The only concession stands for baseball that I've been to, are from Wrigley Field, but my Dad and I used to enjoy hot dogs from a curb-side truck when we worked at the U of I/Chicago many years ago.

Anonymous said...

thanks Tina. Im doing a little better

Kittie Howard said...

Thanks, Tina, for the fond memories. In my small town, the concession stand was also the nearby place we girls gathered prior to our big 'entrance' to the bleachers, hot dogs in hand. We thought we looked so cool and had lots of fun. I'm never tasted a better hot dog than at a ball game!

OMG, Tina, you are Tina, not Jill...what planet was I on?? Enjoy your award!

Rachel said...

Oh gosh - now I'm totally hungry! :)

And yes, I do think it's time for a new grandbaby - they're so cute!

BigD said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog on Friday Social Parade.
I have to agree that nothing is quite as good as a corndog--and I don't know why, because it's not exactly gourmet food!
Have you tried the Double Bubble lately?
I have to say, some of the treats of my youth have been major disappointments when I try them again. I can't believe I could stand chewing that wad of sugar when I was a kid!

Anonymous said...

Never had a corndog, but I sure love hotdogs with mustard, chili, and slaw - at a ballgame or at the beach!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Now I'm STARVING and CRAVING some bubble gum!!! Good stuff in my book!
Hope your weekend is wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...