Saturday, April 16, 2011

National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month

Who doesn't like a Grilled Cheese Sandwich? 
I love to eat grilled cheese with tomato soup in the winter time. In the spring and summer time, I prefer to eat them with a side of Bar-B-Q potato chips. That seems to be the quickest and easiest lunch to fix after church or for supper, when time is limited at night.
My oldest grandson loves grilled cheese sandwiches. I have to cook them on my pancake griddle. If I cook them in a skillet on the stove, then they aren't "home made", he says. Funny kid. He loves his sandwiches dipped in Ranch dressing and served with a bowl of Hot and Spicy flavored Ramen noodles. 
When I was a kid,  the 'normal' grilled cheese sandwich consisted of one slice of cheese between two pieces of bread smothered with butter and cooked on my momma's pancake griddle.
Now, my 'normal' sandwich consists of sliced Cheddar or American Cheese, (sometimes a slice of ham) Onion and Tomato, but we're always willing to branch out and try new recipes.
And that's where the following recipes come in. These are just a few that we have tried. No, sorry to say, I didn't make them up myself, (but I bet I could have!) so I gave credit where credit is due. 
This first recipe is a favorite of mine, made with Italian bread. I make an awesome Italian Bread in my bread machine...which you can find the recipe for at the bottom.    So....
I hope you have a 
Very Happy 
"National Grilled Cheese Month"
Enjoy your sandwich folks!
It's not just about bread, butter and cheese anymore!





 Aunt Bevs Glorified Grilled Cheese
allrecipes.com
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 slices Italian bread
  • 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 4 thin slices ham
  • 2 slices Swiss cheese
  • In a shallow dish that will be large enough to dip your sandwich in, whisk the egg with some salt and pepper. Set aside.
  • Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the mayonnaise and mustard onto one slice of bread. On the other slice, layer the ham and cheese. Place the slices together to enclose the ingredients.
  • Carefully and quickly, dip each side in the beaten egg, and place in the hot buttered skillet. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, then melt the remaining butter in the skillet. Flip the sandwich, and cook until browned on the other side. 



Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
8 ounces shredded Colby-Monterey Jack
cheese
 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
8 slices French bread
2 tablespoons butter
Sliced Tomato - optional
Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, shredded cheese and garlic salt. Beat until smooth.
2. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread cheese mixture on 4 slices of bread, then top with the other 4 bread slices. Lightly butter both sides of each sandwich. Place sandwiches in skillet, and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.




 Grilled Cheese of the Gods
???  
( Grilled Bacon and Cheese sounds better to me!)
allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano
-Reggiano cheese
8 slices cooked bacon
4 slices Cheddar cheese
8 slices sourdough bread
Directions:
1. In a small bowl, mash together the butter and Parmesan cheese until evenly blended. Make sandwiches by placing two slices of bacon and one slice of Cheddar cheese on half of the bread slices. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread some of the butter mixture on the top of each sandwich. Place sandwiches butter side down in the skillet. Spread the remaining butter mixture on the other sides. Cook until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. To serve, cut in half diagonally.




Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich
allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 slices white bread
2 slices American cheese
1 roma (plum) tomato, thinly sliced
1/4 small onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
Directions:
1. Heat a large skillet over low heat. Spread butter or margarine onto one side of two slices of bread. Place both pieces buttered side down in the skillet. Lay a slice of cheese on each one, and top with slices of tomato, onion and jalapeno. Butter one side of the remaining slices of bread, and place on top buttered side up. When the bottom of the sandwiches are toasted, flip and fry until brown on the other side.




The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Taste of Home

Ingredients

  • 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 10 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened

Directions

  • In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir
  • in the cheeses, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Spread five slices
  • of bread with the cheese mixture, about 1/3 cup on each. Top with
  • remaining bread.

  • Butter the outsides of sandwiches. In a skillet over medium heat,
  • toast sandwiches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until bread is
  • lightly browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.

 


 Grilled Three Cheese Sandwich
Better Homes and Gardens
  • 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, drained
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons raisins
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 6 slices white or whole wheat bread
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  1. In a blender container or food processor bowl blend or process cottage cheese until smooth.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl combine cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, celery, raisins, and Parmesan cheese.
  3. Divide cheese mixture among three slices of the bread, spreading evenly. Top with the remaining bread.
  4. Lightly coat a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted, turning once to brown both sides. Makes 3 servings.


 My Awesome Italian Bread
1 1/2 cups warm water, 110-115 degrees
2 TBSP Oil
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp salt
3 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP powdered milk
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast

Put ingredients in machine in the order listed. 
Set machine on light setting for bread and bake away!
Your house will smell so good!



This recipe was published in  
Gooseberry Patch's 
Mom's Very Best Recipes 
as
Italian Yeast Rolls
The only thing different is to set your machine on the dough 
cycle after adding the ingredients. 
After the dough has been processed, 
roll it in to twelve 2 inch balls. 
Place on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. 
          Brush the tops of roll with melted butter (about 3 TBSP total)
           and bake at 350* for about 15 minutes or until golden.
              Excellent served with Italian dishes or any pasta!


HAPPY EATING!




    19 comments:

    I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

    I love grilled cheese and tomato soup too. They do make for a yummy combination. I wasn't hungry at all til I read your post and now I think it must be time for lunch. All of those sandwiches sound good to me. I'm sure I've some cheese in the fridge. Hope your Saturday is off to a great start!

    Jen said...

    I do love a good grilled cheese sandwich too! In the summer when the tomatoes are ripe I like to take 2 slices of bread, put mayo on one side w/cheese, then some tomato on the other side,toast then sprinkle with basil... Yum.

    All the grilled cheese recipes look & sound so good!

    janis said...

    One of my favorite cookbooks is a Grilled cheese cookbook! I love grilled cheese too!

    Michelle said...

    These are some good recipes! I love grilled cheese...especially with some bacon!

    Debby@Just Breathe said...

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't make them often enough but I do love them. My next favorite is a patty melt!

    Frieda Loves Bread said...

    Thanks for pokin' around my blog and for leaving a lovely comment! You've got a great blog here, too and you're looking at your newest follower! I love all these suggestions for an updated grilled cheese...yum!

    janis said...

    Tina~ The Cookbook is called "Grilled Cheese 50 recipes to Make You Melt" by Marlena Spieler. I found it at TJMaxx. I have been trying to find a couple more copies as my daughters also want it. TJMaxx, sells off season things and discontinued items. The jacket says its 2004, distributed in Canada by Raincoat books. Chronicle Books LLC, USA. Jacket gives price @ $16.95
    www.chroniclebooks.com I am sure we can find copies on line. Its a fabulous cookbook :)

    Martha said...

    Guess I'm going to have to put some grilled cheese on the menu this month - who knew it was national grilled cheese month?!!

    Tina said...

    Thank you Janis! I found it on Amazon for a good price..can't wait to get it in! They sell cookbooks for everything now don't they?

    Today is Sunday! Guess what I'm having for lunch!The question is...which one do I make?

    Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

    Thanks for sharing! Those look just wonderful Tina, I am going to print them off!
    Thanks for your concern for baby Addison too.
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

    Love grilled cheese sandwiches! One of my favorites, that and macaroni & cheese! What is it about cheese...comfort food I guess! We love to add jalapeno peppers to our grilled cheese sandwiches and like you, love the BBQ chips!
    Hope your weekend is wonderful!
    Cindy

    Libby@CookingWithLibby.com said...

    I did not know it is National Grilled Cheese month :) Thank you for sharing that :) I love all these recipes and need to try them soon ;) Yummmmmm!

    Harvesting for Life said...

    Grilled Cheese is seriously the best. It's like comfort food, and love all wrapped up in a simple sandwich! These recipes all look incredible!

    Linda said...

    Grilled Cheese is definitely a favorite of my husband and I. Not so much, daughter Sarah, who has a lifelong milk protein allergy and isn't all that fond of melted cheese. I just make ours the traditional way for us which is just white bread, butter, and 2 American Cheese slices for each sandwich, grilled up. Yum.

    Anonymous said...

    Tina, YOU Won 2nd Place
    http://glowacademy10.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-giveaway-is-here-closed-winners.html

    ~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

    So funny that this is grilled cheese month. When I was a teenager my mom made us grilled cheese's one night.

    Dad and I bit into ours and realized she FORGOT to even put the cheese in! HERS had cheese, but ours didn't. We still tease her about it...of course! :)

    Anonymous said...

    Here is my e-mail
    renjac1301@embarqmail.com

    I have your bag wrapped ,and ready to go out in the morning :)

    Anonymous said...

    dont know if you got e-mail.
    I mailed it off, you'll get it 1-2 days :)

    Junebug said...

    I know it is grilled cheese month. I grew up in a town that is known for its cheedar cheese. It even took the World Champion in cheeder this year. So for this gal it is always Tillamook Cheedar Cheese. Love, love grilled cheese sandwiches!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...