Monday, January 3, 2011

Momma's don't have time to be sick.....Ready for an Onion Blossom?

I'm feeling a little better...fever broke during the night and I must say... that DayQuil is some pretty good stuff!
Plus, I have too much to do to keep me from laying around...watching old movies will have to wait! I'm sure you know how that goes.....

Tomorrow night is the Razorback Football game. I'm not a fan of football, but my boys and their friends are. I'll watch it when they do sometimes, but I would rather go to a LIVE game! They are all pitching in for the smoked brisket, chips, dips and drinks but I am in charge of the sides. And this is one of them....but first...here's my story:

Back in February of 1993, I received the Premier Issue of Taste of Home magazine.


In it , was this letter from a woman who lived about 30 minutes north of where I used to live in Louisiana.



Onion Blossoms? That sounds good! 

So, me wanting to try them inspired me to write to Taste of Home and ask for the recipe. 
Then, the next month, I received a letter in the mail attached to the third issue of the magazine.



....they published my letter!


And they also published the recipe!!! And come to find out...the owner of the restaurant was owned by a guy I went to school with!! Small world huh?


I have made this recipe a bajillion times and it's the best one that I have for Onion Blossoms! My family loves it! And don't you think it'll go great with a smoked brisket?

12 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It sounds wonderful to me. I love onion blossoms but have never tried to make it.

Pitterle Postings said...

Oh, I love onion blossoms. They are amazing and I love the idea of making my own!! Thanks for sharing.

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

That reminds me that I have an onion blossom maker I once purchased SOMEWHERE but have never used. Perhaps, I'll have to pull it out and give it a whirl.

I'm also glad to hear your feeling better.

Keep well!

Anonymous said...

It really is a small world! The internet has made it even smaller -- but in 1993, we were all still babies when it came to networking over the wide world web. That makes your findings in this magazine that much more unique!

Wasn't it the Outback Restaurants that made this particular food famous? I think I would much rather taste your version. Sounds delicious! :)

Arkansas Patti said...

Onion blossoms are on my last meal request. Sooo good.
I was born in Ohio so I should be torn about the game but am not. I am a Razorback all the way now.
Go Hogs.

Bonnie said...

Thank you, Tina, for visiting my blog. That one was done for a class I taught on blogs for the sisters of my church. My regular blog is found at http://bonsblogbydesign.blogspot.com

Nice meeting you I will be coming back to read more on your blog soon.

Bonnie

Unknown said...

OH WOW What a great recipe ~! My hubby would love it !
What a great story ! So fun and interesting !
Love your blog and good recipes ! following you back and come say hi when you can :)
HUGS

Bonnie said...

Tina, I just re-added my followers box on the main blog. http://bonsblogbydesign.blogspot.com

Thanks! Bonnie

Jane said...

What a great story!! My husband loves onion blossoms so I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks!
Jane

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

We use to have that as a treat in a resturant, I am going to give your recipe a try.Thank you so much for coming by.I will be back !
Diane

cooperl788 said...

What a great story! Taste of Home is one of my favorite magazines - their Healthy Cooking spin-off is fantastic! I'll definitely have to try the recipe out.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Love onion blossoms! I also love Taste of Home, I have every single issue from the 1st one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...