Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 10...Cooking Through 25 Days of Gooseberry Patch Christmas









This recipe was requested by my family. You'll find it on pg 103 in Gooseberry Patch Christmas Book 9. I've made these squares before, and of course, they're a big hit! Very sweet too...be sure to have that tall, cold glass of milk sitting near by!

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Squares
by Jan Brown of Greenwood, AR (Hey..another Arkie!)

2 18 oz tubes refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
Non-stick vegetable spray
3 3-oz pkgs, cream cheese, softened
(don't let the photo confuse you... I used an 8oz and 1/3 of a 3oz)
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
(and that's it...pretty simple ingredients!)
Press one tube of cookie dough into the bottom of a 13"X9" baking pan that has been sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray.

Beat cream cheese, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth. (sorry...blurry photo)
Pour over cookie dough; crumble remaining cookie dough over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Chill before serving. Makes 15 servings.


Here it is...in all it's chocolately yummy goodness!










I went to my momma's house (40 minutes too far away) yesterday morning to help her put up and decorate her tree. She loves "a lots a lights" (as my momma says) on her tree. I thought that 500 lights on a five foot tree was plenty, but she said it "just wasn't quite bright enough". When she realized she was short on lights, (which was the same amount I put on her tree last year) we headed to her trusty Wal-Mart to buy more. Of course, they were out of what she wanted, so we made do with what she had. I honestly did not think we could get it any brighter without fear of the airplanes confusing her home with the small airport nearby. The tree turned out beautiful anyway. I wasn't quite finished decorating her tree when I realized I had to head home to pick up my granddaughter from school. After picking her up, helping her with her homework, cooking a quick supper for my family, I headed back to my mom's house again. We were just going to sit back, after we finished the tree, and "rest". But, my momma got this sudden burst of energy and stood up and said "let's go back to Wal-Mart, just to look around". So, that we did. After hearing her tell me "I'd get it if I were you" at least 20 times, we headed to the check out. My favorite item I bought was a Santa's cookies and milk plate and bottle set. It's too cute!!
We went back to her house, visited for a few more minutes and after her telling me "you better go potty before you get on the road", I headed home.
I came home, tidied up around the house, played on the computer, then hit the bed. First thing this morning, I headed back to my momma's house. After "resting" for a little while she asked, "What do you want to do today?". "It's up to you momma. Whatever you want to do is fine with me." "Well", she says, "let's go back to Wal-Mart and look around some more". So, that we did. She hates how they keep changing things around in the store "onced or twiced a week" (Which is slang for "Remember, we live in South Arkansas!") She needs to keep going back, I think, for fear that she might miss something. She doesn't buy much of anything, she just wants to know what's there.
I bought another Santa's cookies and milk plate and bottle set (because I gave away the one I bought yesterday) then she decided she was hungry. Time to head to Dairy Queen. We each enjoyed a Chicken Strip basket with extra gravy, while I explained to her what "blogging" is. "I just started to understand what Facebook was and you went off and started something new!"
An hour or so later, it was time for me to head home. But, before I left she wanted to make sure "we've got our days all planned out for next week" (antiquing, lunch, a trip to see my grandson in his Church and school programs, Christmas shopping and probably back to Wal-mart) before she heads down to visit with my brother and his family for Christmas. I'll miss her while she's gone. But, I know I have to ‘share' her with my two brothers. If I were an only child....I'd keep her all to myself!
"Will I see you again tomorrow?"
"Yes ma'am! You sure will!"
"I love you."
"I love you too, Momma."






Taken 5 years ago.....with 5 of my children and 2 grandchildren!

Taken almost 4 1/2 years ago....

Taken 4 years ago....Taken 4 years ago.....The brother I share her with! :-) (after my trip to the Bahamas! What a tan!)

Me and my momma at last years Christmas parade! We were freezing!!!
We took my Momma to Chili's for her birthday in October! She loved it!! She how much weight she's lost? She looks so good!

My mom is a Cervical Cancer survivor and has had several health issues...but she's a real tough cookie!
My mom is my number one supporter since I was diagnosed with cancer in my left eye two years ago.
My mom is who inspires me to be a better person.
My mom is my best friend.




8 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How great that you have your Mom close by and that you enjoy doing so much together. I love that recipe today. So easy and looks so good. Another that I'll have to try out soon.

Unknown said...

Tina...first, that recipe sounds WONDERFUL!! That said, thank you for sharing about your sweet Momma. I am blessed to still have mine..but she lives 800 miles away. We do talk most days on the phone and get to see each other a few times a year but I'd give just about anything to take her to Walmart EVERY day, lol.

CHRISTmas Blessings!
Gail

Carey's Farmhouse Kitchen said...

My mom was my best friend and Christmas just isn't the same without her. I just try to make it magical for my kids now and remember our time together.

Carey

Corine Moore said...

I haven't ever met you, but can see that you are very blessed to have your mom so close to you! I just traveled by plane to see my mom; it was WONDERFUL! I know God loves us because he gave us mothers!!! Keep loving. ;) Corine

PS I found you by way of my list of followers. Thanks for following and welcome! :D See you around... Corine

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe...seems super easy!

It's so nice to read about the time you have with your dear Mama...I don't have mine and I miss her very much.

Tina said...

Thank you for stopping by!
I am so sorry to those who have lost their mothers or are not close in distance to them. When were stationed in Okinawa for five years, I was only able to see her twice...and for one week at a time. That was the hardest time for me...and for her.

Lori said...

so sweet! I just loved hearing about your mom. Oh and the recipe :)

Unknown said...

Lovely post, Tina! Thanks for sharing about your sweet momma. And that recipe looks dee-lish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...