At least once a week, (on Thursdays mostly) I cook lunch for my son and some of his friends/co-workers. I knew they were tired of spending money from eating out so much, so I thought this would be a good way to help them out. This week I cooked Mexican food.
I wanted to find a recipe like those Cinnamon crisps that you can buy at Taco Bell. So I went to www.gooseberrypatch.com, clicked on Cookbook Index and typed in 'cinnamon'. WOW! There are soooo many recipes with cinnamon in them! I love cinnamon, so all I could think about was getting out those cookbooks and my sticky tabs and start marking my pages! But, oh Lordy...I just don't have the time right now!
Anyway...I scrolled doooowwwwnnnn the page and came across this recipe. It's not like the crisps that I was looking for, but....Simple recipe, in a Christmas cookbook, blog material....hmmmm....
They turned out pretty good! The guys really like them. They said they were like cinnamon cookie sticks, and a perfect ending to a spicy meal!
Later on I found them to be a perfect companion to a cup of hot cocoa! YUMMY!
You can find this recipe on page 147 in Old Fashioned Country Christmas.
Cinnamon Sticks "1886" by Joyce Lolich
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 3/4 cup flour
Mix all ingredients. (I used my mixer to blend it all together, then used my hand to form the dough ball.)
Roll and cut into finger lengths. (mine were about 1/2 inch wide) I love my old rolling pin!

Roll sticks in cinnamon and sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees until set and edges are light brown.(mine were assorted sizes!)
They sure did smell good while they were baking and they tasted even better!!
Tomorrow morning is the graduation for my son-in-law. He is graduating from Physician Assistants school...which is about 3 1/2 hrs away. Yep...I'll be back on the road again! My momma is spending the night with me so we can get up early and hit the road. And...since we'll be in the big city... I think we'll do some Christmas shopping while we're there!
And, why am I telling you all this? Well, I think I may be late posting tomorrow. Just giving you the heads up!
Have a great night. Stay warm. Be safe.
Thank you Ms Joyce and Gooseberry Patch for another yummy recipe!






8 comments:
Congratulations and the cinnamon sticks look yummy. We used to make something similar with leftover pie dough and called them Johnny Cake.
That's exactly what they taste like Patty!
Thank you for stopping by for a visit!
These look so good. I'm going to give them a try. Wish I had one with my coffee right now! Thanks for visiting and becoming a follower at Buttermilk Cottage. Hope you'll come back often and visit!
Best,
Susan
Take good care traveling there. Congrats to your SIL and enjoy the shopping!
Hi Tina,
You had me at cinnamon! I know most people like chocolate but if I had to choose, cinnamon would win every time for me. The Cinnamon Sticks sound delicious.
I'm off to go see what other recipes you posted.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Jane
This recipes looks and sounds really good. BTW - I made the Quick Salisbury Steaks last night and they were delish!!!!!
Jane...I would prefer cinnamon over chocolate any day..and any time of the year! :-)
OK Granny...I'm so happy that you liked the steaks! We love them! One of my favorite recipes!
It was nice to come home after a long day of traveling and see that my 'friends' had been here to visit! Thank you!!! Stop by any time!
Those cinnamon stick look yummy Tina....would probably be just perfect with my cuppa tea :)
Blessings!
Gail
Post a Comment