I've received several emails asking me questions about some of my posts when I first started blogging...so I thought I would just answer your questions here.
And the answer is...Yes, I do have cancer. And....No, I don't let it get me down.
Two years ago this past November, I was having problems with the vision in my left eye...seeing spots, flashing lights ...and I noticed one morning that I couldn't see out of the top half of my eye. The Dr's office got me right in when I called. After a dilating my eye, an ultrasound and a few photos, the Dr called me back in to his office and explained it all to me. I just sat there looking at the pictures.
Then he said the words "Tina. Do you understand what I'm saying? You have cancer."
My cancer is called Choroidal Melanoma. It's a form of skin cancer and has attached itself to the back of my left eye. Normally the cancer is caught about the size of a match stick head...mine was bigger than a penny but smaller than a nickel. My eye doctor did not dilate my eyes two years in a row. He just checked my vision for new contacts. If he had of, the tumor could have been caught much smaller that it was. So, when you see your eye Dr., please be sure he dilates your eyes so he can look behind them.
The treatment for my cancer was radiation. If... not when...but IF it spreads, I will take chemo.
He then scheduled an appointment for me to see an Opthalmic Oncologist in Memphis. .
I had to stay at the Cancer Center in Memphis for nine days...I came home the day before Christmas Eve. A radiation implant was surgically attached to the back of my eye and then surgically removed 8 days later. You'd think it would be uncomfortable wearing that thing, but it wasn't. If I lowered my bottom lid, I could see part of the implant. Other than that, I just had to wear a shield over my eye to keep others from being subjected to the radiation. The radiation kills the tumor over time.
I'm going to spare you the photos...no sense in showing you how awful I looked at the time. But I will tell you this.....I got a lot of stares and I scared small children...the stares I could deal with...scaring the children made me sad. So, I made a point to wear a patch if I went out. My eye was inflamed and very blood shot.
I see two different Oncologists, (one for my eye, and one to run CT and bone scans to see if the cancer has spread) a Retina Specialist (who gives steroid injections in my eye to help the retina heal....and YES...OUCH!) and a Dermatologist ( to check my skin, since it is Melonoma)...They will be my doctors for the rest of my life...They are all very caring, loving, awesome doctors!
To sum it up...I have lost the vision in my eye, I still see flashing lights (but nothing like I was), I have to use reading glasses for my good eye and I've had surgery to repair my eyelid so I can open my eye better now. And...the BEST NEWS!....the tumor is still getting smaller...and the cancer has not spread! Wooo Hoooo! Yay me! Yay God!!!
I told my doctors in the very beginning that I was going to be a miracle patient. I've got prayer warriors all over the world praying for me! At my last appointment, my Oncologist told me "I've never seen anything like this. You're right...you are definitely my miracle patient!"
It could take two more years for the tumor to be completely gone. But, I'm okay with that. I'm alive...and while I'm alive...I will keep living. I have a lot to live for...and God's not finished with me yet!
Me, (with my Momma) Novemeber 09...My eye would barely open....
Me (with my friend Debi)...two months after surgery (lid lift)...my eye is open!
And can you tell I'm a little bit thinner? I've lost 25 pounds! (Just thought I'd throw that in! hehe)
Last winter...Woman of Faith conference...Cardboard Testimonies..."My Cancer is Big".
But..."My God is BIGGER!"
Have a Blessed Day (Night) everybody!....Stay safe and stay warm!!! Cuz...'Baby, it's cold outside'!

21 comments:
Thanks for sharing your story. What a brave lady you are. Which Women of Faith conference did you attend? I went to the one in Montana last year, and it was SO amazing!
Actually it was Big Girl, Big God conference. Babie Mason and Jan Silvious from Woman of Faith put it on. It was excellent. I'd love to go to another one soon. I tried to take notes, but I was afraid I'd miss something.
I went to a Woman of Faith conference in Dallas a few years back. I loved it!
You are amazing. Going through all that and you still have a wonderful attitude. I'm so thankful all is going so well for you. I think your faith and trust in God makes a big difference for sure. He can do the impossible.
You are a strong lady, Tina, to go through all of those procedures. I admire that very much. Thank you for telling your story. I'm sure it will be inspiring to many. :)
I am so glad you shared your story. As a retired oncology RN that worked for years giving chemotherapy, I am still awe struck by the life lessons I learned from my patients. Like them, you are truly and inspiration with your uplifiting attitude and faith in God.
What an unusual cancer--one I had never heard of and I am in a support group.
Can you hear me clapping over the great news that it is shrinking? Way to go.
I too am a survivor, 10 years bladder cancer, and know that while Cancer is an miserable thing to attack us, we should feel blessed we live in a time when there are so many effective treatments. It also makes us so aware of every day blessings.
Keep up the wonderful progress.
Tina..thank you for sharing that! I will keep you in prayer. Your attitude inspires me :)
Blessings!
Gail
Thank you all for your comments. But, I'm not going to lie to you...I cried at first. It was right at Thanksgiving and Christmas time, so you can imagine my bad thoughts about it. I spent the first few days comforting my family and friends, then it hit me! I sat out on my front porch and cried and cried and prayed and prayed. All of a sudden, I stopped crying...and I'm at peace with it now. My strength comes from God. I give HIM all the credit.
AR Patti...it is an unusual cancer. People still look at me funny when I tell them what kind I have. But, once I got to Memphis to see my Dr there, I found out just how uncommon it is...and how blessed I am for doing so well.
Hi Tina! You are so beautiful as is your entire family!
It must be a very unusual cancer that you have had and one that probably most of us are not aware of. My eye doctor likes to dilate my eyes every year..... now I understand why. It takes a very strong person to survive cancer. So glad you found my blog and that you are a survivor!
Di
I think you are strong and amazing. I love your attitude best of all. You just keep going and Trust in Him.
Wow...I am very touched by your comments. Thank you very much!
Let's give AR Patti a hand..she's a 10 yr cancer survivor!!! How awesome is that!!
I just read your post and it touched my heart... Sayin alittle prayer now. Your a strong woman and yes God is so much bigger!!!
You have been through a lot, Tina! You are a strong woman with a great attitude...I'm inspired by you! Hope you have a wonderful New Years! XO
What an amazing story Tina!
You really are strong and inspiring too!
May 2011 be a really good year.
Hugs,
Cindy
WOW, I've never heard of that kind of cancer. Cancer runs wild in our family. I'll be thinking and praying that this tumor continues to get smaller.
Tina I have done some reading here and looked at your beautiful family! I too have never heard of the cancer you were diagnosed with. I am happy to hear that the tumor is shrinking and I admire your attitude and find you inspiring. Thank you for your visit to my blog and I will be back to to some more reading! May you have a wonderful New Year!!!
Miz Tina,
God always puts the people he wants you to meet along the path. He sure wanted me to meet you. We have so much in common, I am a 12 year breast cancer survivor and almost lost the sight in one of my eyes due to side effects of the Chemo. It was a long journey but God brought me through it just like you...He is mighty. Who would have thought that He would use my Black Eyed Peas to introduce us...I am wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year! Stay in touch...
Hi Tina! Thanks so much for coming by my blog! I am so glad you came and please stop by anytime! What an amazing story and what an amazing woman you are! I will be following you and keeping up. Take care of yourself and I will definitely pray for continued healing for you! Happy New Year!
You know, you are the second person I knmow that has this type of cancer. Who even knew? I am glad you are doing well and living life. That is exactly what the Lord wants us to do. Your family is adorable. Thanks for coming by and introducing yourself.
Thanks for sharing your story. I too have cancer but it is now in remission. I had Non- Hodgkins Lymphoma. I have been through chemo 3 times. Hopefully it won't return. I have been going through this for 9 years. At first I had this wonderful attitude, but each time it gets harder to think positive and stay strong. But I try. I will keep you in my prayers.
So sorry that you have had to endure such hardship. Will keep you in my prayers!
Post a Comment