Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 7...Cooking Through 25 Days of Gooseberry Patch Christmas







Yesterday was another busy day for me, so I decided to cook something light for supper. I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a couple of rotisserie chickens. I'm glad I bought two of them because Jason's friend stopped by when I was putting supper on the table!
With a side dish of mac-n-cheese, I knew all I needed was some bread and the meal was complete!
For as simple as this recipe is, I sure got a lot of "wow, this cornbread is good" comments. You can find this recipe on pg 65 in Homemade Christmas. Excellent cookbook, by the way!

I love quick and easy recipes like this...I can just throw them together at the last minute after a busy day or when I have unexpected company.



Ham and Cheddar Cornbread
by Arlene Smulski in Lyons, IL

2 8-1/2 oz pkgs cornbread mix
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 lb thinly sliced deli ham
6 slices Cheddar cheese

Combine dry cornbread mix, milk and eggs; mix well. Pour half of the batter in to a 9"X9" baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Layer ham and cheese slices carefully over batter.







Spread remaining batter over cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cut into squares; serve warm. Serves 6 - 8. (I cut mine in to 9 pieces and they were the perfect size!)






See all that melted cheese? Mmmmm....it sure was good! Jason and his friend said it was like eating a Cornbread sandwich!

I had a few pieces left over, so I covered it and put it in the fridge. One of the guys got a piece a few hours later, heated it for a few seconds and said it tasted like it was "fresh out of the oven"!
Looks like we've got another keeper!








Remember all of the Rankin-Bass Christmas shows when you were a kid? Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, The Little Drummer Boy, and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. These days they are considered classics! (kind of shows my age now doesn't it?)
Those were and still are some of my family's favorite shows to watch! I remember my brothers and I would get out the TV Guide and write down all the days they were going come on. Just in case we missed them on TV now, we have them on DVD! Wow..how times have changed!
Remember Mr Snow Miser and Mr Heat Miser from The Year Without a Santa Claus? "...whatever I touch, turns to snow in my clutch....I'm too much!"
How about a little trip down memory lane?..................(you'll need to pause my playlist down at the bottom of the page in order to hear this video)





It's suppose to get down to 25 degrees here in South Arkansas tonight...and we even have a chance of snow flurries in the forcast! Wooo Hooo! I'll be sure to stand out and look at the street light so I can see them. If they're visible enough, I might even get a picture!

It's time to run! I've got a bajillion things to do today! I hope your day is a happy one!

Thank you to Ms Arlene and Gooseberry Patch for another great recipe!!


1 comment:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is very cold and very snowy here this morning. I'll be shoveling more of that white stuff today. Winter time brings a little more exercise than I'd like for sure. Keeps me in shape. Have a terrific Tuesday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...