Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 3...Cooking Through 25 Days of Gooseberry Patch Christmas




How do you feel about egg nog? Most of my family loves it! When I came across this recipe for "Egg" Nog in Gooseberry Patch Christmas book 10, I knew I had to try it. So, I did. It actually taste pretty much like the ‘real' thing! I was impressed at what a little box of vanilla pudding mix could do!

"Egg" Nog by Paula Zsiray in Logan, UT
3 oz pkg vanilla instant pudding
1/3 cup sugar
8 cups milk
2 t. vanilla extract
½ to 1 t. nutmeg

In a large bowl, mix first four ingredients until combined. Add desired amount of nutmeg. Serve chilled. Keeps well in the refrigerator. Makes about 8 cups.

Now, you might be asking....What did she do with that leftover potato? Well, we have a guest on my blog today. It's not a Christmas cookbook, but it is from Gooseberry Patch. Let me introduce you to the Gooseberry Patch Family Favorites cookbook! There are so many good recipes in this book too! If you don't have it, or Book 10, then hop on over to www.gooseberrypatch.com and pick up a copy for yourself and a gift for someone else! You will be glad you did!!
So...what did I make? Drum roll please......

I made POTATO CANDY! Yep...exactly...candy made out of potatoes! It's some pretty yummy stuff if I do say so myself! You can find the recipe on pg 203 in Family Favorites cookbook. But, in case you don't have this book already..I will give you the recipe!

Potato Candy by Julie Messier in Durham, NC
1 lb unsweetened shredded coconut
2 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 lb English walnuts, ground ( I used ground pecans instead!)
2 lbs. powdered sugar
semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine coconut, potatoes and walnuts, mixing well; refrigerate several hours. Shape into walnut-sized balls and roll in powdered sugar. Drizzle melted semi-sweet chocolate over candy for a delicious treat. And there you have it......Now that's a sweet treat!!
I know that pictures don't always look as good as the real thing. I guess I could use a 'nicer' camera.
Hmmm....Dear Santa, ..........



Every year, I buy the new grandbabies an ornament announcing their first Christmas. Then I buy each of the grandchildren a new ornament, put their name and the year on the back and hang it on my tree. One day, when they have their own family, I will make an ornament wreath for them to hang in their own home. But, until then...we get to enjoy them on my tree! Here are a few of the ornaments I have purchased over the past 7 years! Most of them seem to be ‘cookie' themed don't they?



















I hope you each have a wonderful, blessed and safe day today! Stay warm, and if you have snow....send it to me!
Thank you Ms Paula, Ms Julie and Gooseberry Patch for your recipes! They were very yummy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Tina...what a great countdown to Christmas!! I see you LOVE GBP as much as I do :)

Blessings!
Gail

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!! Love those tea cup ornaments and those recipes both sound delicious! I am enjoying the Christmas music on your blog and it looks so festive. Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Christmas. I look forward to reading more of your blog too!!

Tina said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love having visitors!
Yes Gail...I LOVE GBP! I don't have the entire collection, but I'm getting there! :-)

Yarni Gras! said...

Thank you for visiting me yesterday. My follower button is at the bottom of the blog. BTW, I love this idea of cooking through the Goose Berry Patch cookbook. Great idea!

Simple Home said...

The 25 days of cooking is a great idea. Thanks for sharing the eggnog recipe, I've copied it down. My family loves eggnog! I do the same thing with ornaments for my kids. With 6 kids, we've collected a lot of ornaments.
Blessings,
Marcia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...